Many meditative techniques require one to sit still and silent. Meditation however doesn't actually need to be carried out sitting perfectly still in the lotus position. For many, the accumulated stress and activity in the body-mind makes that difficult.
Before we can hope to access our inner powerhouse of consciousness, we need to let go of our tensions. These are a few ways to allow a deeper invitation to meditation through movement.
Movement Meditation is simply put, meditation while moving. More specifically, it is moving while being minutely aware of the movements of the body (i.e. how the legs feels when tensing) and the outside elements occurring in tandem with those movements (i.e. the smells of the air, the sound of your feet hitting the pavement). Really take note of your sensory awareness.
Ideal for people with energetic bodies and spirits who grow restless while sitting still, movement meditation provides the body with a physical outlet for its energy while at the same time stimulating circulation. It is commonly practiced through walking meditation, an opportunity that provides fresh air, nature transmissions and tensions release, creating a calm mind.
Tantra moving meditations are short and designed to move the body with focus, energy and intended to short-circuit the mind’s need to be busy. Move to be silent, that’s the intent. They are based in 2 to 4 movements in a series.
Here are the parts; each part is done for 5 mins. Add 2 to 4 parts as you like (10, 15, 20, 25 min meditations). The suggestion is the final part always be rest and quite for 5 mins.
There are over 300 options with these 8 parts with the rest!
- Shaking: While standing or laying, one begins to shake the whole body. It’s a gentle shake, no effort, with the whole body. (to purge energy)
- Sitting Waist Rotate: While sitting, rotate from hips counter clockwise, and then half way in, clockwise. Rest palm on knees to support movement (to ground)
- Eye Rotations: Sit or lie, close eyes and move eye left to right, up and down. Random and comfortable patterns. Rest eyes as needed (clearer vision)
- Humming: Sitting, shut firm the mouth, tongue up and full, close eyes and hum full and slow the same sound though nose. Let the body move in beat.
(clears voice and intuition)
- Body Patting: Sitting, start with right hand and pat your left arm and move across body, then with left hand, pat right arm and across body. (awaken body awareness)
- HA Breathing: Take a deep breath in through the nose, filling your lungs completely. Then exhale through the mouth, loudly whispering the word "Haaaa," and exhaling completely. Continue for 5 minutes. (To increase energy)
- Orgasmic Mood: Laying down, close eyes and begin to make light sounds of sexual pleasure, add hip and body movement slowly the add the energy, rest as needed, but continue for 5 mins. (movement sexual energy)
- Heart Openers: Sitting or Standing, hands on breasts, slowly and fully, breath in while pushing back, opening shoulder blades. Exhale with YA while opening chest outward. Slow act, easy breathing for 5 mins. (Opens Heart)